to the artists, designers and craftspeople who think I call their work kitsch... this is NOT the case, it refers to my own work

Jun 16, 2011

Old toys, a love that never dies






I used to have a humble collection of old toys.  My heart goes soft every time I see wornout toys, that means they have been cherished and played with for years.  I stopped quite some years ago and even sold many of them.  But when I happen to bump into these unexpectedly...



... I quickly take a snapshot and move on before I change my mind.


Seen on a very small fleamarket in a tiny village in Bavaria.



A beautiful antique traditional wooden box...



... and a mini version of the still very popular Lederhosen.


A few days later in Füssen ...
A lovely shop called Nina's Fleamarket ...



... luckily it is closed at the time we're walking past.


Another shop ... hmmm ...

I like this kind of humour ... I have to go in and discover more...



The very narrow shop sells traditional clothes from different parts of the world, but I'm attracted by the amazing amount of old vintage toys filling every available nook and cranny.



Steiff originals.  It is the owner's private collection and is not for sale (so I can look around at my heart's content as I'll resist temptation).



A few snapshots, not good quality pictures.  Three people were waiting for me, the lighting wasn't good, but I had to grab a few... I could spend hours looking around.



  I'm pretty sure I've missed some real treasures...







Irresistable...



A toy cable car... I'd love that running through my room.



Naive wootcuts, so many unexpected things in a clothes shop!



Vintage mannequins with original dressing.







The shop also sells second hand traditional clothes.



It takes some time to fit a skirt I've picked from the rack looking at all the details in the fitting-room... and people are waiting...


The last surprise ... when buying a new item it will be packed in a new bag, but if you're bying a second hand item - as I did - it comes in this recycled bag from KARM MARG, a project for children in New Delhi.
I love the attitude of this shop!  I just wished I lived a bit closer to stop by from time to time.


Gwandhaus click to enter site
first and second hand traditional clothes
Brunnengasse 10
D-87629 Füssen - Germany
There is a leather and hat shop right next door by the same owners.

2 comments:

Gwandhaus Füssen said...

Hi, best wishes from füssen....
www.gwandhaus-fuessen.de

hildA said...

Hello to you too,
will add your site to the post (I have been looking for it and didn't find it)
best wishes from Belgium
hildA