to the artists, designers and craftspeople who think I call their work kitsch... this is NOT the case, it refers to my own work

Jan 5, 2011

a church like a boat

A particular structure towers over the rooftops of the old fishermen's houses in the port of Javea.  At first I could not see what it was.  Our local guides - sister and brother-in-law - Leen & Robert Vandevelde lead us through the narrow streets to the church of Nuestra Señora de Loreto.











Inside one can see how the roof is build like the hull of a ship (not quite clear in this picture).





Around the building slender narrow doors that - I can't help it - remind me of coffins.





Next to the church are - what I guess to be - the priest's quarters.


The church of Our Lady of Loreto was built in 1967 by architects Garcia-Ordoñez, Dexeus Beatty, Bellot Porta and Herrero Cuesta.

No comments: